Affordable Care Act Information
As of 2019, New Jersey requires health insurance coverage. For more information visit GetCoveredNJ.
Affordable Care Act Information from New Jersey State Library — Click here.
As of November 1, 2020, New Jerseyans use GetCovered.NJ.gov instead of HealthCare.gov to shop for and enroll in 2021 coverage. If you previously enrolled in a health plan at Healthcare.gov, your coverage is not ending – it will continue with Get Covered New Jersey.
- The 2021 Open Enrollment Period for GetCoveredNJ was November 1, 2020 to January 31, 2021.
- The COVID-19 Special Enrollment Period for uninsured New Jerseyans does not end until May 15, 2021.
- All eligible uninsured residents can enroll now, and coverage will start on the first day of the month following your plan selection.
- Even after the COVID-19 Special Enrollment Period ends, policies starting in 2021 may still be available if you quality for a Special Enrollment Period or SEP. Many events can qualify you including losing health coverage, changes in residence or income, major life events like marriage, divorce, birth of a child, newly gained US citizenship or release from prison. For information on whether you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period, visit the GetCoveredNJ page on Special Enrollment Period.
- You can enroll in NJ FamilyCare, the state’s publicly funded health insurance program with free or low-cost health coverage, any time of year without qualifying for a Special Enrollment Period.
NJ Family Care is both a federal and state funded health insurance program created to help qualify New Jersey residents of any age, by providing them with access to affordable health insurance.
For more information click here.
New Jersey State Library Guide to the Affordable Care Act (for 2021 coverage) - Helpful resources, information about using GetCoveredNJ instead of Healthcare.gov, links to the Federal Affordable Care law, sources of more information including the key points you need to know before open enrollment ends January 31, 2021, and more.
- Get CoveredNJ Customer Call Center
- Find local help with enrolling at GetCoveredNJ
- Complaints about insurance companies:
- Click here or call or call (609) 292-7272 for more information.